Monday 8 October 2012

UNOH – Anji Barker



from Klong Toey in Thailand


Signs of Hope


Today as I walked by the rubbish dump area I noticed a young man digging through the rubbish. His hands were filthy, but one of them was clinging tightly to the plastic bag of glue he periodically sniffed. Trying not to vomit from the smells that grew thicker into the air as he dug deeper, I thought of the kids we were just about to take swimming. A feeling of helplessness overwhelmed me as I realised that very soon many of the precious little ones I know and love would soon be in this same situation. Some of the 10 and 11 year old boys are already experimenting and making money for snacks by being drug mules. The current in our neighbourhood is so strong it seems inevitable that hundreds more lives will be reduced to scavenging in the bins in crazed states. As I passed this guy I noticed him pull something out from deep down in the smelliest broken bin - a wallet! He opened it and some 10 baht coins fell from the broken lining. In all the dirt and filth he had found something precious, something valuable. It was in that moment that I felt hope begin to rise in my heart - maybe, just maybe with God’s grace, we can too!
__________________________________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment