Wednesday 10 October 2012

COAT – Chinese Orphans Assistance Team




If you change the life of a child, you change the world


This is Si Yan. One day, some years ago, I was visiting the orphanage in Jiaozuo City, Henan Province.  I asked the Director if I could have another child. I had room for one more.

It was a very cold day, so Si Yan was dressed in many layers of clothing.  At least she was warm, but goodness knows when she had had clean clothes last.  The smell in each of the rooms was unbelievable.  Each cot had at least 4 children.  They were settling down for a three hour siesta so their carers could sleep. This little tot was singing a favourite nursery rhyme. I picked up the song and a few more little ones began to sing and clap their hands. They learned this from attending a school which I started for the orphans in that building. All the little black eyes were following me.  They knew I was there to take one of them home. 

All the eyes were begging. 

I was well known by these children as I was a frequent visitor and they knew I was boss of the school. I reached over and picked Si Yan up and hugged her to myself.  I promised the others that I would try to get them too, but they just had to wait…. And I was able to get most of them over the course of time as we opened more homes.

Si Yan kissed my cheek and I hugged her down two flights of stairs and into the lane leading to the road.  We had an official meal we had to attend, but smell and all, I was not going to leave her in the orphanage another minute if I could help it and besides, they have been known to change their minds. I carried her home to Eagles’ Wings 1 (the first apartment I bought with my husband’s inheritance). Joy was the resident foster mother there then, so joy took her, bathed her and dressed her more appropriately as we had good heating in that home.

Si Yan loved being in Eagles’ Wings.  I call my homes “Eagles’ Wings” because of Exodus 19:4b…. I raised you up on eagles’ wings and brought you to myself.
For awhile though, Si Yan had nightmares.  She would cry out in the middle of the night: “baba, ge ge, bu zuo!!!” (Daddy, big brother, don’t go).  She was subconsciously remembering being abandoned.  They would have abandoned her knowing she could not walk. 

 Cerebral Palsy is also considered bad luck and the person is thought to be stupid.  This happens because of ignorance.  However they did abandon Si Yan where she could be found, so they must have loved her.  If they hadn’t, they would have left her at the rubbish dump where death is pretty much a certainty although we do have some from rubbish dumps.

Part of our work is to teach people that people with a disability can often lead productive lives if they are well cared for and educated. So we provided therapy, education, the essentials of life… food, clothing and shelter.  But most importantly, she was loved. 

Margaret, our in Australia administrator was with me that day when I carried her home.  Margaret took her to her heart and formally sponsored her.  This gave them a great connection as Margaret visits often.  Si Yan’s self-esteem rose wonderfully and she began to thrive in every way.  She loved going to the new little school I opened not far from where Eagles’ Wings 1 was. She struggled going up and down the stairs to school as Eagles’ Wings 1 is on the sixth floor.  We moved her to Eagles’ Wings 6 which is on the ground floor. Every day she went back and forth to school in one of our three wheeled electric vehicles.  Eleven children can fit in the tray of this vehicle and the children love it.  They wave to the villagers as they pass and the villagers wave back in happy communion with the children.

See Si Yan now in the arms of her new American Daddy.  He is carrying her home.  She can walk a little with a walker.  The family are taking two children at once.  So, two children from Eagles’ Wings have left us on the same day to the same family.  Both of them are terrified at the moment.  They know their new mother and father love them, and they are happy about that.  But America is so far away and they have had a happy childhood in Eagles’ Wing. They are very brave and have turned their faces toward their futures and hand in hand, they are walking into their wonderful future that God has prepared for them both. In USA, they will have the best medical care possible, the best education possible and the best love from a mother and father who love them unconditionally even though they only met a few days ago. To God be all praise and glory for the thing He has done in the lives of these children and all who love them dearly. The family is a large and loving one…. So they will adjust when they realise it is just as good as Eagles’ Wings, except that now they have a real mother and a real father.

Linda Shum
President/International Director
Chinese Orphans’ Assistance Team Inc


No comments:

Post a Comment