Wednesday 17 October 2012

God Moments … Psalm 23


One of the most, or probably the most famous of the Psalms, is often used at funerals. Some may think that Psalm 23 is a depressing and morbid Psalm.

But recently I have been challenged by it. I suffer with lack of sleep, waking up in the early hours and then not being able to get back to sleep, even if I move to another bed (my dear husband snores!) Then I think. And I think. I just seem to be unable to turn my mind off. I turn on the light and read my Bible or a book or magazine, sometimes even get up and try to find a movie or something to watch on television just to take my thoughts into some kind of numbness. You see, the middle of the night becomes a hugely vulnerable time. My thoughts are fully negative, which is not healthy. You know the kind of thoughts where you see yourself as an ugly person, you worry about your family, and everything becomes exaggerated. It’s awful and a struggle. Then you look at the clock and realise that you have to get up soon. How will you do this when you know you will feel so tired? It's not so bad if it happens once a week, but on a regular basis it's a real struggle.

Lately I have found myself reading Psalm 23. It started while I lay in bed trying to decide book or movie, movie or book. The words “The Lord is my shepherd I shall not want” came into my mind. Then I found myself saying these words during the day while driving. So of course I had to read the Psalm again, and I have found it one of the most comforting Psalms.

 I feel truly loved by God as through Psalm 23 He tells me He is with me all the way. No matter how dark my nights can be, He is with me. So, dear readers, take some time and read Psalm 23.


A Psalm of David   -  NLT
The Lord is my shepherd;
    I have all that I need.
He lets me rest in green meadows;
    he leads me beside peaceful streams.
    He renews my strength.
He guides me along right paths,
    bringing honor to his name.
Even when I walk
    through the darkest valley,
I will not be afraid,
    for you are close beside me.
Your rod and your staff
    protect and comfort me.
You prepare a feast for me
    in the presence of my enemies.
You honor me by anointing my head with oil.
    My cup overflows with blessings.
Surely your goodness and unfailing love will pursue me
    all the days of my life,
and I will live in the house of the
Lord
    forever.
Andi




No comments:

Post a Comment