Tuesday 13 November 2012

Georgianna’s Story


Hi my name is Georgianna Manthey. I am 20 years old. I am a small town girl who was brought up in a very large family (1 of 7 children). I am very people orientated and have always dreamed of working with less advantaged people in Africa. Though I am only young I have accomplished many things that my heart has been set on including completing my Certificate III in Community Services and even following my dream of working with babies in Africa.

In early 2011, I lived in Uganda, East Africa. For three months I worked six days a week at Baby Watoto (a childcare ministry that caters to babies under the age of two, who have been abandoned, beaten, sick and sometimes dying) in the capital city, Kampala. 

My daily tasks included taking very sick babies to the hospital and also the usual feeding (sometimes through tubes for sick children), bathing, dressing, changing and above all giving love, cuddles and kisses that’s the best medicine.


I went through many challenges on my journey such as political
unrest during an election, riots, bomb threats and sadly even the death of a little boy whom I loved dearly. 

For many people, this may be very off putting, and they may never return. However, since I have returned to Australia, my heart has been stirred and my passion for this ministry has only increased.  I left part of my heart in Uganda and I long to return to continue loving these children and helping them find hope in what appears to be a hopeless world.

As soon as I arrived in Uganda I felt at home. I found something I was good at and a place where I was needed. My heart’s desire is to return to Uganda by the end of this year to live and work for two years.

My cost of living in Uganda is approximately $13,000 AUD per year, equalling approximately $250 a week. This covers safe accommodation (ie. with guards) food, transport, any medical issues that arise, and also a fulfilled dream of a young Australian girl wanting to make a difference. 


Georgianna and Cooper
In order for me to follow my dream I need help. I am requesting sponsorship for the duration of my stay in Uganda and I would love for you to be involved. Mathematics say that if I have 10 people to sponsor me at $25 a week or 25 people sponsoring me at $10 a week (though every little bit helps) this will be what I need to step forth in faith and fulfil God‘s purpose in my life.

I am not necessarily looking for people who have money to spare, but people who want to be involved in missions but could never see themselves in my shoes. Or people who have always wanted to take that trip to Africa but life’s directions have changed over the years. I am ready to serve in a country that I love and am really excited about the future, not only for myself but especially for the babies and children who benefit from the work I will be doing.

I am working 3 jobs in my best efforts to raise funds, but I can’t do it by myself.
If you would like to support me in bringing love and hope to these special babies please complete the sponsorship pledge below. You can find more about Baby Watoto at http://www.watoto.com/babywatoto or by contacting me on gmant2@hotmail.com

Sam
If you feel that having me speak to you and your friends in person would be beneficial, I am available to travel and share my experiences and vision with you.

For the children,
Georgianna Manthey

I first met Georgianna when I was planning our Shine Conference this year in Gympie. I was seeking someone to share their testimony and along came Georgianna, who was introduced to me by one of our Shine team members. Georgianna shared her story which touched us all at Shine. Since then I have been bombarding her to give me something for conXion I hope Georgianna’s story has touched each of you as it did at Shine, she is a young girl who is not only following her own dream but God’s.
Andi

No comments:

Post a Comment