Monday 10 September 2012

from the Editor’s Desk



Father’s Day is celebrated this month. This gives us an opportunity to reflect on our own fathers, grandfathers, in fact all the men who have been a part of our lives.

The photo is of my Dad, 
Rueben Pudney and myself the 
last day I saw him 1984 in his garden 
in Norwich, Norfolk, England

I lost my father 27 years ago. What was sad for me was that  I was living here in Australia, and he in England, and I was in no position to say goodbye to him. That’s something I have often regretted, especially since I have been married and had a child. He missed meeting my husband Ron and his granddaughter Meg, and I missed sharing my family with him. As I reflect on Dad, it’s not all sad. He was a loving and caring man in whose arms I always felt totally safe. No one could cuddle me like my dad. But I have found a Father who surpasses all that my father could do for me, my Father in heaven. Brennan Manning in his book ‘The Signature of Jesus’ wrote:

‘If we take all the goodness, wisdom and compassion of the best mothers and fathers who have ever lived, they would only be a faint shadow of the love and mercy in the heart of the redeeming God.’

October 26 – 28 will be Girls’ Getaway Camp 2012, and I encourage all who can to take the time to come. The guest speaker this year is Carol Smith. Carol has a passion for helping and encouraging others to move forward in their Christian lives. Bel Thomson (nee Morrison) will be our guest artist. Bel has shared at our camp in Toowoomba and in many conferences that have been held over the years. She is a delight and shares God’s word in song beautifully. Girls’ Getaway will be a time for us to gather and share with each other in God’s word, make new friends and catch up with old ones. There will be plenty of surprises, and you will not be disappointed. You will be uplifted in a special way.

Roma Church of Christ will be holding their women’s conference ‘Abundance’ on Saturday 20 October. The theme this year is ‘Smile… and Shine Christ’. Joan Kambouris will be their guest speaker. Please check the advertisement in this edition for more details. ‘Abundance’, like Bundaberg Women’s Conference and ‘Shine’ in Gympie, are becoming a great way to reach those in your church and community, I want to encourage more of these special days as I believe God just loves to see women gather to share in His love.

In His love
Andi Owen



3 comments: