Tuesday 12 June 2012

The Visitor



It was in our midst before we knew it. Everyone froze! “Lord, please protect us,” I silently prayed. We watched, parents with children in their arms, leaders holding children’s hands, children up on the fort knowing not to move or speak. It had entered our playground and slithered under the fort before anyone had noticed. There it was – a shiny, slim, brown body coming out from under our fort and winding its way towards the sandpit. It wasn’t moving quickly, almost sauntering, totally focused on its mission, completely oblivious to our presence. Then it stopped. Lifting its head as it touched the wood of the sandpit; a forked tongue tasted the air. “Oh, Lord, help!”  Any movement to the left or right meant direct contact with children. A child who panicked now would have been within striking distance of this unexpected visitor. No one moved a muscle. Its head lowered and into the sand pit it slithered. “Praise God there were no children in it.”  Reaching the other side our visitor, probably a baby brown snake once again stopped, checked out the surrounds and then continued its journey into the gardens of the car park. Danger past, everyone started to talk at once. Children relived the experience (with added creative tid bits), parents and staff breathed a sigh of relief. “Thank you for your protection, Lord,” I prayed.  How good it is to have a Saviour for all situations. 

Our day had been filled with happy experiences no one knew what God had planned for us that afternoon. Life is a precarious business.  Have you ever experienced this?  A medical appointment that confirms disease or a necessary life change; an unexpected phone call to share the news that a loved one has passed or seriously injured; an employer’s decision that suddenly leaves you or your husband unemployed. We don’t know what God’s detailed plan is as we live each day but He gives us assurance that He’ll be there walking with us – if we let Him. “…God has said, never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.  So we say with confidence, The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid…” Hebrews 13 5b – 6a. These words are very pleasant to read if we’re not in desperate need of comfort and help. When we are they are a challenge. Will we really reach out and embrace God and accept all that He gives so we know the peace that passes all understanding or will we allow distress to overcome us, pity to encompass us and bewilderment to overwhelm us? 

I’m reminded of the well-known poem Footprints. It’s a beautiful poem that encourages us to let go in times of trouble and allow our loving Heavenly Father to carry us, to be our helper, constantly by our side every minute of our life. Enjoy….

Footprints in the Sand


  
One night I dreamed I was walking along the beach with the Lord.
Many scenes from my life flashed across the sky.
In each scene I noticed footprints in the sand.
Sometimes there were two sets of footprints,
other times there were one set of footprints.
This bothered me because I noticed
that during the low periods of my life,
when I was suffering from
anguish, sorrow or defeat,
I could see only one set of footprints.
So I said to the Lord,
“You promised me Lord,
that if I followed you,
you would walk with me always.
But I have noticed that during the most trying periods of my life
there have only been one set of footprints in the sand.
Why, when I needed you most, you have not been there for me?”
The Lord replied,
“The times when you have seen only one set of footprints in the sand,
is when I carried you.”

by Mary Stevenson



Debi Stone
Debi and her husband, Scott live in Bundaberg.  Debi teaches at the local Christian College. She has a passion for writing and enjoys sharing those things the Lord places upon her heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment